Monday, November 15, 2004

Standing Between Me and Greatness

“I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self.” -Aristotle (384 – 322 B.C.)

So it becomes clear to me - what stands between me and greatness - Self-discipline and focus.

I am pretty sure that I have rarely, if ever, been able to discipline myself to the point where I could declare success. I greatly admire those taht can achieve great hieghts through focus and determiniation. I want the secret potion that would allow me to focus long enought to a) keep up with a fitness program and yoga, b) write c) become a good photographer d) accumulate wealth e) resist shopping at winners and H&M.

“Rest not! Life is sweeping by; go and do before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.”
-Johann Goethe (1749 – 1832)


I certainly have no problem living with great abandon when I can, or pampering my moments here on earth. I have travelled all kinds of places an have been on great adventures...but for the most part I come back broke and 10 pouinds heavier... ;)

“Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes.”
-Buddha (568 – 488 BC)


So final victory and I will never meet at this point. So how does one cultivate that kind of endurance?

“One should act in consonance with the way of Heaven and Earth, enduring and eternal, the superior man perseveres long in his course, adapts to the times, but remains firm in his direction and correct in his goals.”
-I Ching (1150 BC)


Ah, back to the self-discipline, focus and perserverence thing. I am doomed. Evidence that I am doomed is inherent in this posting...but there is a small ray of hope - apparently I have to set different goals for myself: self discipline goals:

Self-discipline-oriented goals are essential to generating self-control, motivation, and persistence, the other three key ingredients needed for self-discipline. Here is an example of self-discipline goals:

1. I want to have total control over when, how, and what I eat for the next 30 days.
2. I am going to gain control of my finances by sticking to my scheduled budget each and every day for the next 90 days.
3. I want my fellow co-workers to look up to me as a leader and example of discipline by the way I speak, act, and dress in 60 days.
4. I will gain control of my emotions by disciplining my anger, depression, and attitude around my family, friends, and co-workers.
5. I am going to set aside one hour every day to work on my goal of being self-employed in one year.

Now these are not MY goals, rather samples of self-discipline goals that I could articulate. So here we go...

1) I want to have total control over when, how, and what I eat for the next 15 days. I will not snack after 7 PM, I will cut suger intake in half.
2) I will have control over my health and fitness in the nex 15 days by doing some physical activity fpr at least 30 minutes per day.
3) I will spend an hour each day improving my photography skills and knowledge.
4) I will be in complete control of my emotions and stress at work and will refrain from freaking out.

That's all I can do. So I will report back each day on progress or lack thereof :

Does she have the self-discipline enought o be a success?
Will she fail and be doomed to life that lacks achievement?
Will she gain another 10 pounds trying?

Stay tuned....

No comments: